Rebecca Rowland, ed.
Dark Ink Books (January 26, 2022)
Reviewed by Mario Guslandi
A massive volume assembling twenty-three new horror stories, the present anthology provides many hours of pleasantly horrific reading. The quality of the included tales is frankly higher than I was expecting, also because, frankly, I was not familiar with any of the contributors.
On the other hand, by now I am acquainted with the editorial skill of editor Rebecca Rowland, and that convinced me that book would have not been a waste of time.
And I was right. Some of the stories therein really stand out, and I will briefly focus on them.
“Sacrifices” by Douglas Ford is a dark, puzzling story where, in a near future, secrets are waiting to be revealed, disclosing the true nature of a deceivingly normal reality.
In “Get Away from Me” by Kevin David Anderson, a car accident occurring during a blizzard brings about unexpected horrific events involving the two drivers.
“Paper Dolls” by Glynn Owen Barrass is a creepy tale where the author, despite a rather thin plot, manages to create an atmosphere of terror which keeps the reader totally bewitched.
Eldon Litchfield contributes “Prey Heed to the Preacher Man,” a fine example of graphic horror featuring a man who gets lost while driving his car and ends up in a small village where an unexplicable horror is waiting for him, while Mark Towse pens “ Tough Break,” an unsettling story revolving around a pair of glasses endowed with peculiar properties.
“Waiting for the Worms” by Erica Ruppert is a masterful piece depicting a gloomy scenario of squalor, poverty and sickness.
On the whole an interesting collection of dark stories, apt to disquiet and entertain the readers.
- Book Review: GENERATION X-ED - December 23, 2021
- Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories, Vol. 5 - December 1, 2021
- Book Review: Terror Tales of the Scottish Lowlands - October 25, 2021
- Advance Review: THE GHOSTS OF WHO YOU WERE - September 22, 2021
- Book Review: A MAZE FOR THE MINOTAUR - August 2, 2021
- Book Review: NIGHT, NEON - July 9, 2021
- Book Review: HOWLS FROM HELL - May 14, 2021
- Advance Review: BODY SHOCKS - April 1, 2021
- Book Review: AFTER NIGHTFALL - March 9, 2021
- Journeys into Darkness. A Midnight Street Anthology - February 28, 2015