Press Release: BURBANK, Calif. — Filming has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Entertainment’s epic Dune, being directed by Oscar nominee Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049).
The big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal bestseller Dune stars Oscar nominee Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name), Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation), Oscar Isaac (Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi), Oscar nominee Josh Brolin (Milk, Deadpool 2, Avengers: Infinity War), Stellan Skarsgård (the Mamma Mia! films, Avengers: Age of Ultron), Dave Bautista (the Guardians of the Galaxy films, upcoming Avengers: Endgame), Zendaya (Spider-Man: Homecoming), David Dastmalchian (the Ant-Man movies), Stephen Henderson (Fences, Lady Bird), with Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling (45 Years, Assassin’s Creed), Jason Momoa (Aquaman), and Oscar winner Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men, Skyfall). Chang Chen (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Grandmaster) is in discussions to join the cast.
A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.
Villeneuve is directing Dune from a screenplay he co-wrote with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts based on Herbert’s novel. The film is being produced by Mary Parent, Cale Boyter, Joe Caracciolo, and Villeneuve. The executive producers are Tanya Lapointe, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Kim Herbert, Thomas Tull, Jon Spaihts, Richard P. Rubinstein, John Harrison, and Herbert W. Gains, with Kevin J. Anderson serving as creative consultant.
Behind the scenes, Villeneuve is collaborating for the first time with Oscar-nominated director of photography Greig Fraser (Lion, Zero Dark Thirty, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story); three-time Oscar-nominated costume designer Jacqueline West (The Revenant, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Quills) and co-costume designer Bob Morgan; and stunt coordinator Tom Struthers (The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception). Oscar-winning and multiple Oscar-nominated composer Hans Zimmer (Blade Runner 2049, Inception, Gladiator, The Lion King) is creating the score. Villeneuve is also reteaming with two-time Oscar-nominated production designer Patrice Vermette (Arrival, Sicario, The Young Victoria), two-time Oscar-nominated editor Joe Walker (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, 12 Years a Slave), two-time Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Paul Lambert (First Man, Blade Runner 2049), and Oscar-winning special effects supervisor Gerd Nefzer (Blade Runner 2049).
Dune is being filmed on location in Budapest, Hungary, and in Jordan.
The film is slated for a November 20, 2020 worldwide release from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Entertainment.
- Warner Bros. and Legendary Announce the Start of Filming for New Adaptation of Frank Herbert’s ‘Dune’ - March 20, 2019
- Follow the First Daughter’s Post-Punk Exploits in ‘Marilyn Manor’ - March 20, 2019
- Full Release Details for Scream Factory’s ‘Tarantula’ (1955) Blu-ray - March 19, 2019
- Sequel to The Acclaimed Graphic Novel ‘Mr. Higgins Comes Home’ - March 19, 2019
- Patrick Brice to Direct Netflix’s Adaptation of Stephanie Perkins’ ‘There’s Someone Inside Your House’ - March 18, 2019
- An Exploitation Easter with Severin Films - March 18, 2019
- Supernatural Horror ‘Flay’ Premieres On Demand this April - March 15, 2019
- Travel Channel Revives ‘Ghost Bait’ – Premiering Thursday, April 4 at 10pm ET/PT - March 15, 2019
- New Trailer Teases Six New ‘Alien’ Short Films - March 14, 2019
- Get Lucky This St. Patrick’s Day with Fright-Rags’s ‘Leprechaun’ and ‘The Fly’ Apparel - March 14, 2019