Amazon greenlights Original Superhero Series The Boys, Based on the comic book from Preacher creator Garth Ennis and directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen.
The one-hour drama will debut exclusively on Prime Video in 2019.
Amazon today announced that it has greenlit original one-hour superhero drama The Boys. The eight-episode Prime Original Series will be co-produced by Sony Pictures Television Studios and created and written by showrunner Eric Kripke (Supernatural), and directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen (Preacher). The series will be executive produced by Kripke, Goldberg, Rogen, Original Film’s Neal H. Moritz (Prison Break), Ori Marmur (Preacher), and Pavun Shetty (New Girl), as well as Point Grey Pictures’ James Weaver (Preacher). Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson, who created the comic book on which the series is based, are also slated to co-executive produce.
In a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame, The Boys centers on a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty.
“In a landscape saturated with superhero shows, The Boys is the next evolution in this popular genre,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios. “With Eric, Evan, Seth, and Original Film all behind this series, we are excited to adapt this popular comic, from the visionary minds of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, for television.”
“We are very happy to have the unique opportunity to produce a second series based on the subversive and innovative world of Garth Ennis,” says Chris Parnell, Co-President of Sony Pictures Television Studios. “And we are thankful to Sharon and her team at Amazon for their vision, partnership, and support.”
The series is scheduled to begin filming in the spring of 2018 for a 2019 release.
The Boys will be available using the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals.
For a list of all Amazon Video compatible devices, visit http://www.amazon.com/howtostream. The series will be a global release for members to watch via the Prime Video app or online at PrimeVideo.com in more than 200 countries and territories.
- ‘TheNightfall’ – Enthralling First-Person Horror Experience Now Available on Steam! - January 14, 2018
- Will You Check Out That Sound in ‘The Basement?’ - January 14, 2018
- ‘Stan Against Evil’ Gets a Third Season! - January 13, 2018
- ‘Knock Knock’ Opens the Door to a Trailer - January 13, 2018
- This February, be Prepared to Enter the ‘House of Demons’ - January 12, 2018
- Myke Cole and Joseph Helmreich, Wednesday, January 17th at the KGB Bar - January 12, 2018
- This Trailer Will Get You a Little ‘Psychotic!’ - January 11, 2018
- BHS Press to Publish Gary Morgenstein’s Provocative New Novel ‘A Mound Over Hell’ - January 11, 2018
- The ‘Hellraiser: Judgement’ Trailer Will Give You Chills (And Thrills!) - January 10, 2018
- Scream Factory’s ‘Drag Me To Hell’ Collector’s Edition Looks Amazing! - January 10, 2018