Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the inland water. A giant, man-eating predator not unlike the gargantuan crocodile that once terrorized Bill Pullman and Bridget Fonda is ready to devour some foolish and foolhardy explorers, as we see in the first trailer for Lake Placid: Legacy — a sequel to the 1999 monster horror film Lake Placid.
Written by Jonathan Lloyd Walker (Van Helsing) and directed by Darrell Roodt, SYFY’s Lake Placid: Legacy follows a group of urban explorers as they venture to a quiet lake in upstate Maine that is home to a deadly and forgotten secret. Unfortunately for them, they quickly discover they’re not alone and encounter a deadly threat that can kill them all.
The film stars Joe Pantoliano (The Goonies, The Matrix), Katherine Barrell (Wynonna Earp), Tim Rozon (Wynonna Earp), and Sai Bennett (Leprechaun Returns).
Taking place several years after the events of the original film, Legacy finds the team of young explorers out to reveal the secrets of an area removed from modern day maps and hidden behind electric fences. However, once they reach the center of the lake, they discover an island that harbors an abandoned facility with a horrific legacy: the island is home to a deadly predator eager to feast on those dumb enough to ignore the warnings.
But before they can turn back, our hapless heroes get dragged into a battle for their lives — and will need to work together if they hope to survive.
The trailer’s tone suggests the movie leans far more into horror than cheese, so we won’t be expecting the next Sharknado. Or even the original Lake Placid, for that matter. The first look at Legacy feels more like a straight-up terror tale.
Lake Placid: Legacy premieres 9 p.m. on Monday, May 28 (Memorial Day) on SYFY.
- Funko to Celebrate 25 Years of Halloween Town with New ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ Collectibles - August 10, 2018
- Experience Hulu’s ‘Castle Rock’ in New 360-Degree Virtual Reality Video - August 10, 2018
- NECA Reveals ‘Alien’ and ‘Predator Foam Replica Wall-Mounted Busts, Coming This November - August 9, 2018
- John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray Set Announced by Scream Factory - August 9, 2018
- Immerse Yourself in the Occult with Three Blu-ray Clips from ‘Pyewacket’ - August 8, 2018
- Girls and Corpses Films Presents ‘Cynthia’ - August 8, 2018
- ‘Lake Placid: Legacy’ Splashes onto DVD and Digital on September 4th - August 7, 2018
- ‘Trick ’r Treat’ “Frightville Novelties” Halloween Decorations Coming This September from Fright Rags - August 7, 2018
- ‘The Nursery’ Coming to DVD on August 7 - August 6, 2018
- Photos of Prime 1 Studio’s New “Batman Who Laughs” Statue, Coming in 2020 from Sideshow Collectibles - August 6, 2018