LOST GIRLS: THE PHANTASMAGORICAL CINEMA OF JEAN ROLLIN
Written Entirely by Women Film Critics and Historians
Canadian micro-publisher Spectacular Optical is pleased to announce a new book focused on the career of French fantasy and horror filmmaker Jean Rollin, LOST GIRLS: THE PHANTASMAGORICAL CINEMA OF JEAN ROLLIN, penned by all women critics, scholars and film historians. Set to be released in the summer of 2017, this collection of essays covers the wide range of Rollin’s career from 1968’s LE VIOL DU VAMPIRE through his 2010 swansong, LE MASQUE DE LA MÉDUSE, touching upon his horror, fantasy, crime, and sex films—including many lesser-seen titles. The book closely examines Rollin’s core themes: his focus on overwhelmingly female protagonists, his use of horror genre and exploitation tropes, his reinterpretations of the fairy tale and fantastique, the influence of crime serials, Gothic literature, and the occult, as well as much more.
LOST GIRLS is the third book in Spectacular Optical’s ongoing series of limited run film and pop culture books, which includes KID POWER! (2014) and SATANIC PANIC: POP CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s (2015) and will precede the previously announced YULETIDE TERROR: CHRISTMAS HORROR IN FILM AND TELEVISION, which will be released in fall of 2017.
Curated and edited by Samm Deighan (DIABOLIQUE), contributors to LOST GIRLS include some of the most important critical voices to emerge over the last decade of genre journalism: Alexandra Heller-Nicholas (SENSES OF CINEMA), Kat Ellinger (DIABOLIQUE), Virginie Selavy (ELECTRIC SHEEP), Alison Nastasi (SATANIC PANIC: POP-CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s), Marcelline Block (ART DECADES), Rebecca Booth (DIABOLIQUE), Michelle Alexander (CINEMADROME), Lisa Cunningham (THE LAUGHING DEAD: THE HORROR-COMEDY FILM FROM BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN TO ZOMBIELAND), Heather Drain (DANGEROUS MINDS), Erin Miskell (THAT’S NOT CURRENT), Gianna D’Emilio (DIABOLIQUE)—and more to be confirmed.
More details, including cover art, full table of contents, and information about the book’s forthcoming crowdfunding campaign will be announced in April 2017.
About Spectacular Optical:
Owned and operated by film writer and programmer Kier-La Janisse (HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN) with managing editor Paul Corupe (Canuxploitation.com), Spectacular Optical is a Canadian indie press that specializes in film and pop culture books, in addition to featuring articles, essays and interviews on the Spectacular Optical website on a year-round basis. www.spectacularoptical.ca
- Find Out When You Can See ‘Evil Things’ and ‘Kindred Spirits Season 2’ - August 22, 2017
- Rob Zombie to Give Us ’31 Nights of Halloween’ - August 22, 2017
- Soon on Vinyl, ‘The Hilarious House of Frightenstein’ - August 21, 2017
- ‘Scared to Death: The Thrill of Horror Film’ to Open at MoPoP in Seattle! - August 21, 2017
- ‘Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier’ Announced for PlayStation(R)4, Xbox One, and PC - August 20, 2017
- Award-Winning Horror Hit ‘Besetment’ on DVD this September! - August 20, 2017
- “Don’t Let Her Silence Fool You” in this Official Trailer and Poster for ‘I Know You’re in There’ - August 19, 2017
- Horror Survival-Adventure ‘The Land of Pain’ Gets Release Date, New Trailer - August 19, 2017
- Release Details Are Out for ‘Escape Room’ - August 18, 2017
- ‘Paperbacks From Hell’ Has a New Home - August 18, 2017