LOST GIRLS: THE PHANTASMAGORICAL CINEMA OF JEAN ROLLIN
Written Entirely by Women Film Critics and Historians
Canadian micro-publisher Spectacular Optical is pleased to announce a new book focused on the career of French fantasy and horror filmmaker Jean Rollin, LOST GIRLS: THE PHANTASMAGORICAL CINEMA OF JEAN ROLLIN, penned by all women critics, scholars and film historians. Set to be released in the summer of 2017, this collection of essays covers the wide range of Rollin’s career from 1968’s LE VIOL DU VAMPIRE through his 2010 swansong, LE MASQUE DE LA MÉDUSE, touching upon his horror, fantasy, crime, and sex films—including many lesser-seen titles. The book closely examines Rollin’s core themes: his focus on overwhelmingly female protagonists, his use of horror genre and exploitation tropes, his reinterpretations of the fairy tale and fantastique, the influence of crime serials, Gothic literature, and the occult, as well as much more.
LOST GIRLS is the third book in Spectacular Optical’s ongoing series of limited run film and pop culture books, which includes KID POWER! (2014) and SATANIC PANIC: POP CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s (2015) and will precede the previously announced YULETIDE TERROR: CHRISTMAS HORROR IN FILM AND TELEVISION, which will be released in fall of 2017.
Curated and edited by Samm Deighan (DIABOLIQUE), contributors to LOST GIRLS include some of the most important critical voices to emerge over the last decade of genre journalism: Alexandra Heller-Nicholas (SENSES OF CINEMA), Kat Ellinger (DIABOLIQUE), Virginie Selavy (ELECTRIC SHEEP), Alison Nastasi (SATANIC PANIC: POP-CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s), Marcelline Block (ART DECADES), Rebecca Booth (DIABOLIQUE), Michelle Alexander (CINEMADROME), Lisa Cunningham (THE LAUGHING DEAD: THE HORROR-COMEDY FILM FROM BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN TO ZOMBIELAND), Heather Drain (DANGEROUS MINDS), Erin Miskell (THAT’S NOT CURRENT), Gianna D’Emilio (DIABOLIQUE)—and more to be confirmed.
More details, including cover art, full table of contents, and information about the book’s forthcoming crowdfunding campaign will be announced in April 2017.
About Spectacular Optical:
Owned and operated by film writer and programmer Kier-La Janisse (HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN) with managing editor Paul Corupe (Canuxploitation.com), Spectacular Optical is a Canadian indie press that specializes in film and pop culture books, in addition to featuring articles, essays and interviews on the Spectacular Optical website on a year-round basis. www.spectacularoptical.ca
- Eddie Brock is Back – Your First Look At The Oversized ‘VENOM’ #150! - April 28, 2017
- Shaw is back in ‘Alien: The Crossing’ - April 28, 2017
- Sideshow Is Betting Big On A Busty Vegas Themed Elvira Bust! - April 27, 2017
- Pre-Sales Now Launched for ‘Lost Girls: Phantasmagorical Cinema of Jean Rollin’ on Indiegogo! - April 27, 2017
- The Latest Promo For ‘Twin Peaks’ Talks About “The Darkness of Future Past” - April 27, 2017
- Dark Horse Ventures Into ‘The Dark North’ - April 26, 2017
- Severin/Intervision Bring Back Two Home Video Oddities! - April 26, 2017
- The Eleventh Season Of ‘The X-Files’ Has Some Retro Teaser Art - April 25, 2017
- Vinegar Syndrome Is Calling Up ‘Psycho Cop’ To Deliver Some Brutal Justice! - April 25, 2017
- Xenomorph Lovers Unite With The ‘ALIEN: COVENANT In Utero’ Teaser - April 25, 2017