In Savages, Christina Bergling gives us a post-apocalyptic world with a very zombie-esque nature. Those who are infected no longer speak and have become blood-thirsty savages. Cannibalistic animals that are more zombie-like than man has left civilization in ruins. In the novel we follow Parker and her travelling companion Marcus as they barely make it one day at a time. Things are looking grim. On the verge of giving up on life, these two survivors find something that sparks new purpose into their lives.
Parker is reminded of her husband and sons while Marcus now has someone completely innocent to protect for the first time since being in the military.
We’re given a world that has been overrun and decimated without a guiding hand to let us know how we got there. There is no beginning to the apocalypse that we know of here. It happened, those who have found a way to live are trying to continue doing just that with no hope for a cure or salvation. With two main characters Bergling was able to focus on them and, while that might be a hindrance to some authors, her ability to deliver solid character development keeps them both interesting and feeling real from one page to the next.
The pacing helps guide the book as well with fluid scenes that move from one situation to another. There is plenty of action and at the same time just as much dread from what she puts her characters through and what they have to do in order to survive. The ending is fitting with the tone of the novel though I can see that it wouldn’t be for everyone, especially those who love their stories wrapped up in a nice little bow.
Truly an emotional roller coaster and one of the better post-apocalyptic tales that I’ve read in quite some time.
Disclaimer: A review copy was provided by one of our sponsors.
- Blog Tour: Sam Mortimer’s ‘Screams The Machine’ Release – “Boons and Battles of Research” - August 18, 2017
- Blog Tour: ‘The Calling’ – “It’s Better in the Dark, Isn’t It?” - July 28, 2017
- Mondo Is Releasing A ‘Southbound’ Soundtrack This Week! - January 31, 2017
- Want To Win A Signed Copy Of ‘Me and My Mates vs. the Zombie Apocalypse? - June 29, 2016
- The Creator of HELLBOY, The Co-Creator of i,ZOMBIE and Acclaimed Horror Artist Christopher Mitten Unleash a Terrifying Meditation on The Nature of Evil - June 25, 2016
- Book Of Demons Is Coming To Steam This August! - June 24, 2016
- ‘Trollhunters’ Adds Kelsey Grammer and Ron Perlman: - June 23, 2016
- August Is Bringing Miami The 2nd Annual Popcorn Frights Film Festival! - June 23, 2016
- Steam Early Access Gets A Little More ‘Lifeless’ - June 22, 2016
- Elvira Is Hosting 2016’s ScareLA - June 22, 2016