MPI Media Group today announced it has completed production on the highly anticipated MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS, a comprehensive celebration of the legendary Gothic daytime series Dark Shadows and its visionary creator, Dan Curtis. The feature documentary, which was shot in New York, LA and London, includes interviews with key actors and filmmakers involved in the undyingly popular story of vampire Barnabas Collins and all the eerie goings-on at the gloomy Maine mansion Collinwood. The documentary was directed by David Gregory (Lost Soul, Godfathers of Mondo) and is set to be released this spring.
Narrated by Ian McShane (Deadwood), MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS offers insights from Curtis himself in addition to Oscar-winning writer-producer Alan Ball (True Blood), screenwriter William F. Nolan (Trilogy of Terror), author Herman Wouk (The Winds Of War), veteran actors Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost), Barbara Steele (Black Sunday), and Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire), Dark Shadows stars Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker, John Karlen, Nancy Barrett, Jerry Lacy, Roger Davis, Marie Wallace, Chris Pennock, and James Storm, plus other colleagues and family members.
In 1966, a phenomenon was launched when Dark Shadows debuted on ABC-TV as a daily Gothic suspense series. Airing in the late afternoon, the show attracted a massive youth audience as it shifted to the supernatural with the introduction of vulnerable vampire Barnabas Collins. Witches, ghosts and scary story lines turned Dark Shadows into a TV classic that led to motion pictures, remakes, reunions and legions of devoted fans who have kept the legend alive for five decades.
The feature-length documentary MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS reveals the fascinating history, far-reaching impact and lasting appeal of Dark Shadows with a compelling blend of rare footage and behind-the-scenes stories while also exploring the dramatic talents of creator-producer-director Dan Curtis. Known as the “King of TV Horror,” the Emmy-winning filmmaker followed Dark Shadows with other iconic genre favorites including The Night Stalker, Trilogy of Terror, and Burnt Offerings before earning accolades for the epic miniseries The Winds of War and War and Remembrance.
- Production Wraps On New ‘Dark Shadows’ Doc – Ian McShane Narrates - January 22, 2019
- Grey Matter Art Unveils ‘The Exorcist’ Limited Edition Screen Print by Artist Sara Deck - January 21, 2019
- New ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ Reboot Coming to Netflix - January 21, 2019
- Full Release Details for Scream Factory’s ‘Man’s Best Friend’ Blu-ray - January 19, 2019
- Blumhouse-Inspired Company to Help Get Your Horror Movie Made! - January 19, 2019
- ‘Motel Hell’ Featured in New Shirt & Enamel Pin Collection from Cavitycolors - January 18, 2019
- Aussie Horror Classic ‘Next of Kin’ Hits Blu-Ray from Severin Films! - January 18, 2019
- ‘Invasion of the Blood Farmers’ (1972) Coming to Blu-ray This February from Severin Films - January 17, 2019
- This Friday, Celebrate Takeshi Kitano’s Birthday with the Streaming Premiere of His Yakuza Thriller ‘Outrage Coda’ on Film Movement Plus! - January 17, 2019
- ‘Mermaid: Lake of the Dead’ Available February 5th from Scream Factory - January 16, 2019