Netflix has renewed its first German original production, DARK, for a second season. The acclaimed drama created by Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese has resonated with audiences in Germany and around the world, including the U.S., Brazil, Italy, Turkey, Spain, and France, among other countries. DARK, a family saga with a supernatural twist, is now one of the most-watched entirely non-English shows on Netflix, a German series that transcends borders to connect with audiences in every country.
Kelly Luegenbiehl, Vice President of International Originals for Netflix, said: “When we first heard about DARK, we realized very early on that we hadn’t seen anything like this show before — in Germany or anywhere else in the world. DARK is a testament that great storytelling transcends geography. We’re excited that our members around the globe are captivated by the mysterious world of Winden, and will now be able to continue to see how the story unfolds.”
Showrunners Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese about the audience reception and the renewal of season two added: “We are overwhelmed by the response to DARK and are thrilled that our story has been a success with a global audience. Viewers have been captivated by the secrets of our protagonists and have taken delight in unraveling the various puzzles that the story presents. To know that we will now embark on our next journey is, for us show runners, a dream come true. And our fans can be sure that we have plenty of surprises in store for the second season of DARK.”
Producer Quirin Berg concludes: “Jantje Friese, Baran Bo Odar, our wonderful actors, and our fantastic team have put an incredible amount of energy into making DARK a unique and gripping series. We thank all of those who have accompanied us on this path. And we thank Netflix for their trust and for the excellent cooperation. We are extremely happy that DARK has by now received such an overwhelming response, both in Germany and around the world, and we are particularly thrilled about the quick decision by Netflix to take it into a second season. We can hardly wait to continue telling the story!”
DARK is now streaming on Netflix
DARK is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. In ten, hour-long episodes, the story takes on a supernatural twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
Written by Jantje Friese and directed Baran bo Odar (Who Am I – No System is Safe), DARK is a chilling mystery-drama series: an intricate puzzle full of twists. Slick camerawork and realistic performances enhance a textured web of curious characters, all of whom have a connection to the town’s troubled history, whether they know it or not.
DARK premiered at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival.
- Something Deadly Lurks Among the Trees in our Exclusive Poster Reveal for New Bigfoot Movie ‘Big Legend’ - May 31, 2018
- Watch the First ‘Fallout 76’ Teaser Trailer from Bethesda - May 31, 2018
- Enter the Eerie Hometown of Many Stephen King Stories in the Teaser Trailer for Hulu’s ‘Castle Rock’ Series, Premiering on July 25th - May 29, 2018
- ‘What We Do in the Shadows’ Series Officially Ordered by FX - May 29, 2018
- Scream Factory Reveals ‘Night of the Lepus’ Blu-ray Release Details & Bonus Features - May 28, 2018
- Full Release Details for Scream Factory’s Collector’s Edition Blu-ray of ‘Ninja III: The Domination’ - May 28, 2018
- AMC’s ‘Preacher’ Season 3 Promo Video Features an Eclectic Cast of Characters in Angelville - May 27, 2018
- Terror Films Unveils Twenty-Two Horror Titles on the Steam Platform! - May 27, 2018
- Enter the Creepy Confines of Hell in New Gameplay Footage from ‘Agony’ - May 26, 2018
- Dark Star Pictures Acquires North American Rights to Documentary ‘King Cohen,’ US Theatrical Release Planned for July - May 26, 2018