MPI Media Group will release the highly anticipated MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS, a comprehensive celebration of the legendary Gothic daytime series Dark Shadows and its visionary creator, Dan Curtis. The film will be available across digital HD platforms and on DVD April 16, 2019. The feature documentary, which was shot in New York, LA, and London, includes interviews with key actors and filmmakers involved in the undyingly popular story of vampire Barnabas Collins and all the eerie goings-on at the gloomy Maine mansion Collinwood. The documentary was directed by David Gregory (Lost Soul, Godfathers of Mondo), and is set to be released this spring.
Narrated by Ian McShane (Deadwood), MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS offers insights from Curtis himself in addition to Oscar-winning writer-producer Alan Ball (True Blood), screenwriter William F. Nolan (Trilogy of Terror), author Herman Wouk (The Winds Of War), veteran actors Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost), Barbara Steele (Black Sunday), and Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire), Dark Shadows stars Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker, John Karlen, Nancy Barrett, Jerry Lacy, Roger Davis, Marie Wallace, Chris Pennock, and James Storm, plus other colleagues and family members.
In 1966, a phenomenon was launched when Dark Shadows debuted on ABC-TV as a daily Gothic suspense series. Airing in the late afternoon, the show attracted a massive youth audience as it shifted to the supernatural with the introduction of vulnerable vampire Barnabas Collins. Witches, ghosts, and scary story lines turned Dark Shadows into a TV classic that led to motion pictures, remakes, reunions, and legions of devoted fans who have kept the legend alive for five decades.
The feature-length documentary MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS reveals the fascinating history, far-reaching impact, and lasting appeal of Dark Shadows with a compelling blend of rare footage and behind-the-scenes stories while also exploring the dramatic talents of creator-producer-director Dan Curtis. Known as the “King of TV Horror,” the Emmy-winning filmmaker followed Dark Shadows with other iconic genre favorites including The Night Stalker, Trilogy of Terror, and Burnt Offerings before earning accolades for the epic miniseries The Winds of War and War and Remembrance.
- ‘Master of Dark Shadows’ Comes to Digital HD + DVD 4/16 - March 22, 2019
- Come With Us on a ‘Suicide Trip!’ - March 22, 2019
- Omar Epps Takes on Patrick Lussier’s ‘Trick’ - March 21, 2019
- Full Release Details for Scream Factory’s ‘The Brain’ Blu-ray Include Three New Audio Commentaries - March 21, 2019
- Warner Bros. and Legendary Announce the Start of Filming for New Adaptation of Frank Herbert’s ‘Dune’ - March 20, 2019
- Follow the First Daughter’s Post-Punk Exploits in ‘Marilyn Manor’ - March 20, 2019
- Full Release Details for Scream Factory’s ‘Tarantula’ (1955) Blu-ray - March 19, 2019
- Sequel to The Acclaimed Graphic Novel ‘Mr. Higgins Comes Home’ - March 19, 2019
- Patrick Brice to Direct Netflix’s Adaptation of Stephanie Perkins’ ‘There’s Someone Inside Your House’ - March 18, 2019
- An Exploitation Easter with Severin Films - March 18, 2019