Larry Fessenden, NYC’s independent horror auteur (HABIT, WENDIGO, THE LAST WINTER), is set to direct DEPRAVED from his own script. The contemporary re-imagining of Mary Shelley’s timeless classic Frankenstein centers on Henry, a field surgeon suffering from PTSD after combat in the Middle East, who creates a man out of body parts in a makeshift lab in Gowanus, Brooklyn. The creature he creates must navigate a strange new world and the rivalry between Henry and his conniving collaborator Polidori.
The film is set to star David Call and Joshua Leonard, and Alex Breaux as the monster. Casting directors Sig de Miguel and Stephen Vincent have assembled a stellar lineup of supporting players.
The film marks a partnership between Fessenden’s long-running, award-winning company Glass Eye Pix (LIKE ME, MOST BEAUTIFUL ISLAND, THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, WENDY AND LUCY, STAKE LAND) and Forager Film Company (LITTLE SISTER, WIN IT ALL), a film collective run by Joe Swanberg (EASY, HAPPY CHRISTMAS) Peter Gilbert (HOOP DREAMS, VIETNAM LONG TIME COMING), and Edwin Linker (GOLDEN EXITS). The deal was brokered by Andrew Mer, who will serve as Executive Producer.
DEPRAVED will be produced by long-time Glass Eye Pix collaborator Jenn Wexler (producer of the SXSW Grand Jury prize winner and Spirit Award Nominee MOST BEAUTIFUL ISLAND, as well as DARLING, PSYCHOPATHS and LIKE ME; director of the forthcoming THE RANGER) and Chadd Harbold (producer of MOST BEAUTIFUL ISLAND and BODY; director of LONG NIGHTS SHORT MORNINGS). Fessenden also produces.
Says Fessenden: “I am very grateful to have Forager support this deeply personal and visceral take on the Frankenstein story. I’ve been moved by the iconic character since childhood and it is a great thrill to try to put my version on screen.”
Joe Swanberg of Forager adds: “Larry Fessenden has consistently made groundbreaking, intelligent, socially relevant films in addition to shepherding some of the most important young voices in genre filmmaking. We could not be more excited to collaborate with him on this project. ”
DEPRAVED will lens in February with cinematographers James Siewert (LIKE ME, THE RANGER, THE PAST INSIDE THE PRESENT) and Chris Scotchdopole (THE EGG AND THE HATCHET).
- Get Ready to be ‘Depraved’ - February 1, 2018
- ‘Friday The 13th: The Game’ is Adding a New Map You Won’t Want to Miss! - February 1, 2018
- This New Netflix Series Will Have You Avoiding ‘The Rain’ - January 31, 2018
- This February You’ll be the ‘Prey’! - January 31, 2018
- ‘Offerings’ is Getting a 4K Treatment this March! - January 30, 2018
- ‘Pinky and The Brain’ Does a ‘Silence of the Lambs’ Crossover?! - January 30, 2018
- Don’t Make Fun of the ‘Lunch Ladies!’ - January 29, 2018
- Johnson, Russo Set for ‘Hunting Season’ - January 29, 2018
- ‘The Eyes of My Mother’ is Coming to Vinyl - January 28, 2018
- Get Ready to Take Home the First Season of ‘Legion’ - January 28, 2018