Press Release: BOOM! Studios today unveiled the first look at characters designs from BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER by Russ Manning Award-winning artist Dan Mora (Klaus, Saban’s Go Go Power Rangers).
Debuting in comic shops on January 9th, 2019 in partnership with 20th Century Fox Consumer Products, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #1 reimagines the groundbreaking pop culture phenomenon from the very beginning!
Alongside Mora, Eisner Award-nominated writer Jordie Bellaire (Redlands) and series creator/story consultant Joss Whedon (the visionary writer/director behind Firefly, Marvel’s The Avengers, and more) invite readers to meet a Buffy Summers like the one they know – trying to make friends at her new school, get decent grades, and to escape her imposed destiny as the next in a long line of vampire slayers tasked with defeating the forces of evil. But the Slayer’s world looks a lot more like the one outside your window, as this new series brings her into a new era with new challenges, new friends…and a few enemies you might already recognize (including fan-favorite Drusilla’s debut as THE MISTRESS).
The more things change, the more they stay the same, as the Gang – Giles, Willow, Xander, Cordelia and more – faces brand new Big Bads, and a threat lurking beneath the perfectly manicured exterior of Sunnydale High, confirming what every teenager has always known: high school truly is hell.
“Once you fight your way through all the monsters of the week and threats around every corner, Buffy is about something we’ve all experienced – the awkward, uncomfortable journey of figuring out who we choose to be. Dan Mora captures the spirit of that struggle with the perfect style and attitude for slaying the monsters hiding in the dark…and in the light of day,” said Jeanine Schaefer, Executive Editor, BOOM! Studios. “As you can see, Jordie and Dan have some huge plans for Buffy and the Gang – starting with some pretty major introductions of characters like Anya and . . . well, I won’t spoil that one quite yet. But let’s just say by issue #4, it’ll be clear that this is a love letter to the Buffy we all adore and will go in directions that no one ever expected.”
Buffy The Vampire Slayer premiered on the WB Network on March 10th, 1997. The Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated series, which ran for seven seasons from 1997-2003, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar as “Buffy Summers.” Chosen to battle vampires, demons and other forces of darkness, Buffy is aided by a Watcher who guides and teaches her as she surrounds herself with a circle of friends called the “Scooby Gang.”
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is the latest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to a world-class group of licensed comic book series and ambitious original series, including Joss Whedon’s Firefly, Lev Grossman’s The Magicians, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Planet of the Apes, Abbott, Mech Cadet Yu, Grass Kings, and Klaus.
Print copies of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #1 will be available for sale on January 9th, 2019 exclusively at local comic book shops (use comicshoplocator.com to find the nearest one) or at the BOOM! Studios web store. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and the BOOM! Studios app.
For continuing news on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER comic books, graphic novels and more from BOOM! Studios, stay tuned to www.boom-studios.com and follow @boomstudios on Twitter. And follow Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Get a Look at Buffy, Spike, Willow, Xander, and the Rest of the Gang from ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ #1 - December 3, 2018
- Fright-Rags to Release Officially Licensed Die-Cut Decorations Based on Michael Dougherty’s ‘Krampus’ - December 3, 2018
- Scream Factory’s ‘8MM’ Blu-ray to Include New Interview with Director/Producer Joel Schumacher - November 30, 2018
- Brahms to Terrify Owain Yeoman and Ralph Ineson in ‘The Boy 2’ - November 30, 2018
- From The Director of ‘Stalingrad’ Comes ‘Attraction’ – On VOD 12/4 - November 28, 2018
- The Sixth Chamber Releases Official Music Video for ‘Entrance to the Cold Waste’ - November 28, 2018
- ‘Horror of Dracula’ (1958) is Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive - November 23, 2018
- ‘Mr. Mercedes’ Renewed for Season 3 by AT&T AUDIENCE Network - November 23, 2018
- Acclaimed Grim Fairy Tale ‘Snowflake’ Falls on Blu-ray and VOD December 4th - November 20, 2018
- New Trailer and Poster for ‘Lifechanger’ Coming January 1, 2019! - November 20, 2018