Introverted Birdie is sent to live in a quaint and isolated convent by her concerned grandmother, in an attempt to change her sobering outlook on life. But left to her own devices she develops a heightened obsession with blood, which seems all too willing to flow from her body, and reoccurring visions and hallucinations that pull her in every direction. Sometimes whimsical and sometimes gory, Birdie passively questions – is she a saint or is she cursed?
Escaping the watchful eye of Mother Superior and the other nuns Birdie begins an intimate friendship with Julia, the groundskeeper’s daughter, but things begin to spiral out of control when the closing of the convent is announced and fates must be confronted.
THE BOOK OF BIRDIE is the feature directorial debut from Elizabeth E. Schuch, whose background includes credits and accolades in theatrical design, visual effects, and storyboarding. The film has a majority female crew and an exclusively female cast led by mesmerizing newcomer Ilirida Memedovski in the starring role of Birdie alongside seasoned talent Susan Crowley (Mother Superior) and Kathryn Browning (Grandmother).
The film is produced by Iakovos Vroutsis and Konstantinos Koutsoliotas and co-produced by Andy Thompson. Joao Pedro Fleck and Nicholas Tonsho executive produced with Fantaspoa Produçoes. London-based studio Melancholy Star produced and handled VFX.
THE BOOK OF BIRDIE lands on Google Play, Amazon, DISH, and iTunes October 2nd.
THE BOOK OF BIRDIE had its world premiered at Göteborg Film Festival 2017 in Sweden, screened opening night at Brazil’s celebrated genre festival Fantaspoa, played the prestigious Sitges Fantastic Film Fest in Spain, and went on to win Best Film at the Stranger With My Face International Film Festival in Tasmania and Best Cinematography at the Brooklyn Horror Film Festival, where it was the closing night film.
- Artsploitation Digs Deep into Extreme Chilean Horror ‘Trauma’ on October 23rd - October 11, 2018
- Dark Ink & Acme Archives Kick Off Their Monster Ink Sale for the Holiday! - October 11, 2018
- ‘Possum’ in Theaters + Digital 11/2 From Dark Sky Films - October 10, 2018
- The Complete ‘Blood Island’ Trilogy Plus The Acclaimed Prequel Newly Remastered On Blu-Ray For The First Time Ever! - October 10, 2018
- ‘Leave Yourself Alone’ Comes To Digital and VOD 10/9 - October 9, 2018
- ‘Halloween’ (2018) Official Merchandise Available Now from Fright-Rags - October 9, 2018
- 90s Video Vixen Returns with New Horror Film - October 6, 2018
- ‘The Shed,’ From ‘Saw’ Franchise Producer Peter Block, Wraps Production, Heads to AFM - October 6, 2018
- This Halloween Travel Channel Presents ‘Ghost Adventures Live’ – A Terrifying Four-Hour Live Investigation - October 5, 2018
- ‘Torso’ (1973) Available on Blu-ray October 30th - October 5, 2018