The 5th edition of Stranger With My Face International Film Festival will take place in Hobart from 4-7 May, with a line-up of feature films, a shorts program, a symposium, industry events, and an art exhibition. Stranger With My Face focuses on women’s perspectives in genre filmmaking with an emphasis on horror and related genres.
The 2017 program includes a retrospective of the celebrated New Zealand filmmaker Gaylene Preston; the Tasmanian premiere of the all-female horror anthology XX with one of the filmmakers, Roxanne Benjamin, in person; and a screening of Wes Craven’s The People Under the Stairs with its cinematographer, Sandi Sissel, ASC.
“Stranger With My Face is a place for newcomers get their films seen and to meet like-minded artists,” says Festival Director Briony Kidd. “But it’s also very much about highlighting older work that’s ripe for rediscovery.”
In addition to appearing for Q&As after screenings of their work, Gaylene Preston and Roxanne Benjamin will take on the role of mentors for the festival’s filmmaker development program The Attic Lab, which returns after a successful first year in 2016.
Roxanne Benjamin is well-known as the producer of the V/H/S films, credited by many as kicking off the ongoing ‘revival’ of the horror anthology feature film. She recently produced, directed and wrote segments of two new anthologies, Southbound, which premiered at TIFF in 2015 and XX this year, which opens this year’s Stranger With My Face after premiering at Sundance
Gaylene Preston ONZM is one of New Zealand’s most highly regarded filmmakers, with a career spanning more than four decades. While primarily known for her work in documentary and factually inspired drama, Preston is influential in genre circles with two films in particular, both of which will screen at Stranger With My Face 2017.
PERFECT STRANGERS (1991) is a “chilling romance” which stars Rachel Blake and Sam Neill, and the lesser known MR WRONG (1983), which has recently been championed by cult cinema connoisseur Quentin Tarantino, who said, “I loved the woman who was the lead in it… she would never be the lead in the American version of that movie. And there was something so authentic about seeing her trapped into this supernatural story.”
Rounding out the The Attic Lab mentor team for is veteran cinematographer Sandi Sissel (CHICKEN RANCH, SALAAM BOMBAY, MASTER AND COMMANDER) who will be in attendance for a screening of THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, followed by an in-depth discussion around the artistic challenges involved in the 1991 Wes Craven production.
More information on The Attic Lab, including this year’s filmmakers and featured projects, will be announced on April 24th. Last year’s inaugural intake included Donna McRae (JOHNNY GHOST), whose project KATE KELLY was picked up by producer Stephanie Trepanier of Snowfort Pictures and pitched at Fantasia’s Frontières Market, Natalie James, whose project RELIC was funded for development through Screen Australia Brilliant Stories Initiative and Indonesian filmmaker Ginanti Rona Tembang Asri, whose debut feature MIDNIGHT SHOW had its international premiere at the festival.
Festival Passes are now available to purchase at an Early Bird rate. The full program, including the shorts program, the Mary Shelley Symposium and industry events, will be announced next week at www.strangerwithmyface.com, with individual tickets then available to purchase online, and Festival Passes at standard rates.
- Sorry Jack, Chucky’s Back with New Fright-Rags Apparel – Plus Stephen King’s Misery! - January 18, 2018
- Back in Your Box, Annabelle! ‘Curse of the Witch’s Doll’ Set for 2/6 Release - January 18, 2018
- Frank Miller Returns to the World of ‘300’ - January 17, 2018
- Seth Breedlove’s ‘Invasion on Chestnut Ridge’ Lands on VOD Platforms - January 17, 2018
- Check out the Trailer for the Dark Sci Fi Thriller ‘Caller ID Entity’ - January 16, 2018
- Science and Tentacles Clash in ‘Tesla vs Lovecraft,’ Available on Steam January 26th - January 16, 2018
- Stoker Con 2018 Librarians’ Day Schedule is LIVE!!! Pass it on! - January 15, 2018
- Get Ready for the Graphic Novel of ‘Ghostbusters 101: Everyone Answers’ - January 15, 2018
- ‘TheNightfall’ – Enthralling First-Person Horror Experience Now Available on Steam! - January 14, 2018
- Will You Check Out That Sound in ‘The Basement?’ - January 14, 2018